The school bus is an extension of the classroom. Students are expected to follow the same rules on the school bus as they follow in school, including the dress code. All bus passengers are under the direct supervision of the bus driver and should follow their directions immediately. All passengers are expected to comply with the following:
- Be on time at the designated bus stop. (Arrive at least 5 minutes prior to the approved stop time not earlier).
- Wait for bus in a safe place, clear of traffic, stand at a specified area until the bus comes to a complete stop. Do NOT play in the street or on personal property while waiting for the bus to arrive.
- Wait for the driver’s signal before boarding or crossing the street.
- Wait in an orderly line, do not crowd or push others when entering/leaving bus. Use the handrail.
- Show bus pass (if issued) every time the bus is entered.
- Aisles must be kept clear. Personal belongings, books, instruments, projects, etc., must be held on a student’s lap. Large items which cannot be held in the student’s lap or fit under the seat are not permitted on the school bus.
- Students must not have anything in their possession that might cause injury to another; e.g., sticks, breakable containers, knives, laser pointers, scooters, skateboards, large musical instruments, or any type of firearms or fireworks. No drugs or inappropriate sexual material. No animal, reptile, fish, or fowl is permitted on the bus, except service dogs with prior authorization.
- Students must sit down and remain seated (facing forward) until the bus comes to a complete stop at their stop/school. Follow directions of the driver in regard to seat assignments on the bus.
- If you must cross the road before boarding or upon leaving the bus, use extreme caution. At main thoroughfares students are instructed to wait until the school bus arrives and the driver has signaled before crossing the street. Never cross behind the bus.
- Do not extend hands, arms, head or any part of the body through bus windows.
- Only exit the bus at a regular stop. Once the driver has shut the door and started to pull away from a stop/school, the bus will not stop again. When exiting, immediately walk at least 12 feet from the bus. Go straight to your destination.
- Be respectful to the bus driver, fellow passengers, and passersby. Keep your hands, feet and other objects to yourself.
- Students will refrain from excessive noise, boisterous behavior, fighting, vulgar or obscene language or gestures, and racial or sexual harassment.
- Food or drinks may only be consumed on the bus with special permission from the driver. Keep the bus clean and exercise care to prevent damage.
- Cell phones may be used, but the camera function or other camera devices may not be used.
Discipline procedures are designed to assure every student safe transportation to and from school and school-sponsored activities. Students who will not follow the bus rules will be disciplined according to District policies.